Stitching Hacks: Quick Tips to Begin Stitching Like A Pro
Le 22 July 2015
Working with our Products
- Prevent the thread from twisting while you stitch by turning your needle a slight quarter to half turn with each stitch.
- If your thread gets twisted while stitching, drop the threaded needle and let it hang freely until it “unwinds.”
- Keep your backside clean. Avoid running the thread across the back of the fabric to go to a new stitching area. Instead, start and stop in each section to ensure that running threads don’t show through on the front side of the fabric.
- Keep your hands clean and avoid temptation to snack while working. Handling food and drinks when you stitch is an easy way to make a mess of any project (Cheeto free is the way to be).
- In embroidery, mark with dots to ensure a uniform stitch size. Try using a ruler or tape measure for making tiny, evenly spaced dots along the stitching line. Learning to gauge stitch distances by eye will come with experience.
- Stab “up and down.” When working with your fabric in a hoop it is preferable to stab the needle vertically up and down, not at an angle, through the fabric when making each stitch.
- Keep your tension even. To create smooth uniform stitches, pull each stitch with the same amount of tension.
- If the stitch is too loose it will appear limp but if the stitch is pulled too tightly the fabric will pucker and cause the design to become distorted.
- Learn how to use both hands when stitching. Learning how to manipulate the needle takes practice and learning how to hold a hoop while stitching takes time. Sometimes both hands are necessary to complete a stitch. The hand holding the hoop is sometimes used to assist in keeping a loop in place while the other hand stitches.
- A floor or table stand allows you to keep both hands free for stitching. If you find it difficult to use both hands while trying to hold a hoop, try using a stand.
- Using a thread conditioner like Thread Heaven helps keep your strands together and stitches laying smoothly.
So you Can Stitch Like a Pro
Our list of great tips collected from expert stitchers that will help enhance your stitching experience by saving you from common pitfalls.With these helpful hints at your disposal you'll be able to tackle any snag that comes your way with style and ease.