Golden Skein: Behind the Scenes
- The precious composition does not allow machine tension for the construction.
- A unique artisanal system for manual production was designed and handmade.
- Such a system cannot be find anywhere in the world.
- From thread wrapping to labeling, production of one skein takes 2 minutes.
- A numbered Golden Skein
- A certificate of authenticity.
- A 24 page bound book narrating DMC’s venerable history plus 19th century stitching charts from the DMC archives in Mulhouse
- French and English texts plus booklet with translations in 12 languages
- A gift card for giving
- Embossed ribbon tie box
- Historical DMC logo colors
- ONLY 17,460 Boxes AVAILABLE THROUGHOUT THE WORLD
“From one fine thread, a work of art is born”
1746 - 2016
270 years of creativity and innovation
The Story of a Family and the Spirit of InnovationIn 1746 Jean Henri DOLLFUS and two Alsatian entrepreneurs took advantage of the fashion for painted fabrics to become pioneers in the industrial production of “Indian,” hand-painted printed fabrics. After nearly a century of production, 800 employees were producing 34,000 items per year. DMC began producing sewing, embroidery, and crochet threads. In In the spring of 1800, Daniel DOLLFUS married Anne-Marie MIEG, who became part of the company—a woman who was integral to a female-oriented business. DOLLFUS MIEG & Co was born. In 1850, DMC discovered chemist John Mercer’s invention, “mercerising,” the treating cotton thread with caustic soda, giving it strength, longevity, and a silky and bright appearance. The result, “DMC Spécial Mouliné” or embroidery floss, became the world’s most sold embroidery thread, renowned by every embroiderer for its technical qualities, ease of use, and incredible range of colors.
Fragments of Indian fabric printed by Dollfus-Mieg & Co in 1800 DMC archives Mulhouse
TO CELEBRATE 270 YEARS
DMC has created a unique symbol of our heritage to share with a world that reveres the artistry and beauty of meticulous handwork. The ultimate symbol of our world is also the most appreciated product by every embroiderer: DMC Embroidery Floss.
LIMITED EDITION LUXURY BOX