DIY Rope Wrapped Thread Box
Le 01 September 2015
- Two paper mache or card stock cylinders (one medium sized, one large sized)
- Assorted colors of your favorite DMC Embroidery Floss Art. 117
- Hot glue gun
- Cotton Cord (available at any fabric store)
- Dark permanent marker pen
- Craft glue (not pictured)
- Pair the large paper mache lid with the medium paper mache bottom.
- Use the hot glue gun to glue one of the the cotton cord to the bottom of the cylinder.
- Wrap the cord around the entire cylinder.
- Secure the cord with a clip.
- Use the permanent marker to draw a pattern onto the cord.
- For my pattern, I went with southwestern diamonds and drew lines in several places onto the cord.
- Unwrap the cord from the cylinder (though the end of the cord will remain attached to the cylinder where you hot glued it into place). Once unwrapped, use your lines as a guide and wrap DMC embroidery floss 117 over each line. I used a colored marker before unwrapping the cord so that I would know what color to use on which pattern. Note: Don’t wrap the embroidery floss tightly! This will shrink the diameter of the cord and distort the finished pattern.
- Once you’ve finished wrapping your DMC embroidery floss around the cord, add craft glue directly to the cylinder.
- Begin wrapping the cord around the cylinder again and you’ll begin to see your pattern come to life!
- Once you’ve finished wrapping, use the hot glue gun to secure the end of the cord.